Authorised Gas Tester – Level 2 (OPITO Approved)
This course, accredited to the OPITO Authorised Gas Tester (Level 2) standard, will give candidates the knowledge to enable them to test safely for flammable gas in preparation for hot work. This course will familiarise them with the requirements associated with gas detection for hot work, legislative controls, the different equipment and safety procedures used and how to interpret gas test results.
Please note that when placing your order that an email address and date of birth are required for the delegate. Neglecting to include these will delay the order process. Contact a member of our team if you have any questions.
Remediation: This course includes two additional remediation attempts at the Final Assessment should the delegate not pass the course on the first attempt. To qualify for remediation, the delegate must score between 80% – 99% in the Final Assessment.
The aim of this course is to provide candidates with the knowledge to allow them to operate as a Level 2 Authorised Gas Tester.
This course is built of five modules, each including its own set of learning outcomes which include:
Testing for Hot Work
- Describe the principles of hot work gas testing
- Identify the properties of different gases and where to test for them
- Identify the type of production operation being tested for: flammable and toxic gases
- Understand the importance of carrying out a suitable and sufficient risk assessment before testing activities
- Describe the implications of organisational requirements
- Describe how to access and interpret relevant operational requirements
- Describe how to select, use and care for PPE and RPE
- Describe how to work within the Permit to Work system
Atmospheric measuring and monitoring equipment
- Describe how to access and interpret relevant operational instructions
- Describe the operational principles of atmosphere monitoring and measuring equipment
- List the strengths and weaknesses of different types of detectors
- Describe how to select between aspirating and non-aspirating detectors to obtain a representative sample of an atmosphere
- Describe the gas detector pre-start checks
- Describe the calibration of instruments
Gas Testing for Hot Work
- Describe the different types of detectors used for flammable products
- Describe how to set up the relevant detectors and identify common faults
Interpreting and documenting results
- Explain how to interpret and document results
- Duration:120 minutes
- Knowledge Check: 18 Questions Final Assessment. Delegates are required to achieve 100% to successfully pass this course.
- Certification: On successful completion of this course, delegates will receive an OPITO certification. Please note, results are currently verified and certificates issued once a week on a Friday morning. This is subject to change. If you require your certificate sooner than this please talk to a member of our team.
- Remediation: This course includes 2 additional remediation attempts at the Final Assessment should the delegate not successfully demonstrate all adequate knowledge of all OPITO Learning Outcomes during the initial assessment. To qualify for remediation, the delegate must score between 80% – 99% in the Final Assessment.
- Operating System: Windows (7,8,10) and Apple Mac
- Browsers: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox and Safari
- Plug-In: Adobe Flash Player required
- Additional Hardware: Please ensure that you have headphones or speakers
- *Please note that our courses cannot be run on tablets or smartphones*