Oil Spill Awareness for Vessel Crews
The aim of this Oil Spill Awareness for Vessel Crews course is to give First Responders and Standby Vessel Masters and Crew the necessary knowledge to deal with an oil spill responsibly and effectively.
Course ObjectiveThis course has been developed to give those that have the “first hit” capability the necessary knowledge to respond quickly and effectively when responding to an offshore oil spill incident. Designed primarily for Standby Vessel Masters and Crews and First Responders, it is an ideal knowledge-building course for a global audience and provides an easy to understand introduction to offshore spill response. Provided as an e-learning course, it is easily accessible and is an excellent awareness course, applicable to anyone who may be asked to respond to an oil spill offshore.
Learning OutcomesDelegates will be able to:
- Describe how oil behaves in the sea and changes over time
- Estimate the trajectory of oil, based on the wind speed and current
- Use of BONN Oil Appearance Colour Code to describe the thickness and size of an oil spill
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using dispersant
- Describe the correct process for applying dispersant
- Explain how to carry out oil sampling
- Duration: 120 minutes
- Knowledge Check: Inter-module assessment questions, to test knowledge and understanding throughout, followed by a 10-question final graded assessment.
- Operating System: Windows (7,8,10) and Apple Mac
- Browsers: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox and Safari
- Plug-In: Adobe Flash Player required
- Additional Hardware: Please ensure that you have headphones or speakers
- Please note that our courses cannot be run on tablets or smartphones