Authorised Gas Tester – Level 1 (OPITO Approved)
This course is accredited to the OPITO Authorised Gas Tester – Level 1 standard and has been designed for personnel who are required to conduct gas detection for work in confined spaces. Candidates will learn how to test for the presence of flammable or toxic gases and to ensure that a safe level of oxygen is present prior to approving entry to a confined space.
Please note that when placing your order that an email address and date of birth are required for the delegate. Neglecting to include these will delay the order process. Contact a member of our team if you have any questions.
Course ObjectiveThe aim of this course is to provide candidates with the knowledge to allow them to operate as a Level 1 Authorised Gas Tester.
Learning OutcomesThis course is built of five modules, each containing its own set of learning outcomes which include;
Testing in different environments
- Describe a confined space
- Identify the type of production operation being tested for flammable and toxic gases
- Understand the importance of carrying out a suitable and sufficient risk assessment before testing activities and confined space entry
- Describe how to use safe systems of work
- Describe the importance of standby persons to raise the alarm and initiate emergency response
- Describe the implications of organisational and statutory requirements
- Identify the responsibilities of your employer
- Describe how to access and interpret relevant operational requirements
- Describe how to select, use and care for PPE and RPE
- Consideration of appropriate levels of RPE
Atmospheric measuring and monitoring equipment
- Describe how to access and interpret relevant operational instructions
- Describe the operational principles of atmosphere monitoring and measuring equipment
- List the strengths and weaknesses of different types of detectors
- Describe how to select between aspirating and non-aspirating detectors to obtain a representative sample of an atmosphere
- Describe the equipment that is required in an inert atmosphere
- Describe the pre-start checks
- Describe the calibration of instruments
Gas testing in confined spaces
- Identify the hazards, properties and behaviours of different gases
- Describe the behaviour of gases
- Describe the range and frequency of tests
- Identify acceptable levels of flammable or toxic gases and oxygen
- Describe the implications of Workplace Exposure Limits (WEL) for toxic and Lower Explosive Limits (LEL) for flammable gases
- Describe how to set up the relevant detector and identify common faults
- Identify the sequence of gas testing
- Describe how to select between aspirating and non-aspirating detectors
Interpreting and documenting results
- Explain how to interpret and document results
- Duration: 180 minutes
- Knowledge Check: 20 Questions Final Assessment. Delegates are required to achieve 100% to successfully pass this course.
- Certification: On successful completion of this course, delegates will receive an OPITO certification. Please note, results are currently verified and certificates issued once a week on a Friday morning. This is subject to change. If you require your certificate sooner than this please talk to a member of our team.
- Remediation: This course includes 2 additional remediation attempts at the Final Assessment should the delegate not successfully demonstrate all adequate knowledge of all OPITO Learning Outcomes during the initial assessment. To qualify for remediation, the delegate must score between 80% – 99% in the Final Assessment.
- Operating System: Windows (7,8,10) and Apple Mac
- Browsers: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox and Safari
- Plug-In: Adobe Flash Player required
- Additional Hardware: Please ensure that you have headphones or speaks
- Please note that our courses cannot be run on tablets or smartphones